About the Fulton County Historical Society
The Fulton County Historical Society was first organized in 1928, but became inactive during and following World War II. It was reorganized in 1973 and incorporated in 1974. It is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.View our Bylaws
The Fulton County Historical Society will bring together those people interested in the history of Fulton County, and will promote an understanding and appreciation
for the people and community of Fulton County through research, preservation, restoration, education and
The Fulton County Historical Society had an active and major role in the restoration of the historic Fulton House in downtown McConnellsburg at 112-114 Lincoln Way East.
Built in 1793 and expanded in 1820, the limestone inn and tavern, with its log kitchen built circa 1770, served travelers on their westward journey and was the stagecoach stop in town for the Chambersburg-Bedford Turnpike. Many historic events took place in this building.
The Fulton House was purchased by the Borough of McConnellsburg and dedicated on July 4, 1976, as a community building.
The Historical Society uses four rooms on the east side of the Fulton House as museum and display rooms to show furnishings, tools, utensils, and decorative items relating to the cultural and material heritage of Fulton County from the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.
Donations of items with a Fulton County provenance are especially valued.
Rooms are open during special events and by appointment. A featured museum exhibit is planned for the Fulton Fall Folk Festival, the third weekend